Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Day 6 North Side Art Box Finale

We set up in the North West corner of Commons Park (closer to CCAC). The breeze was strong and the canopy of trees gave a good bit of shade. The entrance of the box was facing away from the sun (a good thing) but that made it a little darker inside.

I was ready to paint a portrait today. There was a sound check going on in the park. Today was the second day of the Old-Timers Reunion which was more spiritual in nature. After a quick introduction, gospel music rolled across the park. I didn't catch the names of any of the bands but they were pretty awesome. There was such a sweet feeling to this day. Everyone smiling in a casual stroll.




The moonlight painting was moving along. There's a stage you get to in the work where it sort of tells you what it needs. You just maintain presence and listen to it. I love that feeling because its like dreaming. The turnout for this second day was a fifth of yesterday's numbers but the vibe was serene.

I never got a visit from the sitter yesterday so I think I'll have to do a little detective work on that case. Chris Ivy came by again and we did another interview. This was by far the best day in the box.

I feel like I found a balance between the personal work of art-making and social aspect of exhibiting.  It was a real honor to be a part of this and I'm grateful to Samantha McDonough  for dreaming up this project and having the persistence and fortitude to see it through. Congratulations to all the artists who worked in the box, and all those people behind the scenes who helped make it a reality. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment